Director, Marketing, Exhibitions
5 days ago | Requisition ID:
Winsight is a leading B2B information services company focused on the food and beverage industry, providing insight and market intelligence to business leaders in every channel consumers buy food and beverage – convenience stores, grocery retailing, restaurants and noncommercial foodservice – through media, events, data products, advisory services, and trade shows.
The National Restaurant Association Show is the largest foodservice event in the Western Hemisphere and the 18th largest tradeshow in the United States attracting 65,000 attendees and 2,300 exhibiting companies from around the world.
We are looking for a Director, Marketing to join our exhibitions team in Chicago, IL.
Under the supervision of the President, Exhibitions, the Director, Marketing is responsible for overseeing the overall marketing & communications strategy and functions of the National Restaurant Association Show. The National Restaurant Association Show is the largest foodservice event in the Western Hemisphere and the 18th largest tradeshow in the United States attracting 65,000 attendees and 2,300 exhibiting companies from around the world. Director, Marketing will lead strategy and tactical execution via external agency, to motivate 45,000 foodservice operators to register for the National Restaurant Association Show.
Responsibilities include: Providing the perspectives and market intelligence needed by the President, Exhibitions to establish the show’s strategic goals, especially in the areas of exhibitor and attendee acquisition, new product development, and advancing the National Restaurant Association Show’s value platform by building appreciation and value of the event; Overseeing product marketing, assessment of existing and potential markets, product development/management, marketing communications, online marketing, brand management, market research and public relations; Developing long-range marketing plans for the exhibition business, translating the overall strategy into tactical plans to achieve the shows goals and objectives; Directing/managing marketing agency mdg, A Freeman Company and collaborating with company-wide Marketing and Communications teams to develop media, content and event strategies that generate revenue and engage industry.
- Work as part of exhibitions team to accomplish Company’s goals.
- Work through President, Exhibitions to assist with determining strategic direction of the National Restaurant Association Show and oversee its implementation through strategic and creative marketing and communications planning, product development and insights.
- Support all internal team members and departments, following the Winsight mission and values while promoting the Winsight culture.
- Develop understanding of key audience segments (commercial, non-commercial, top 200 brands, independents, grocery, convenience, off premise, adult beverage hospitality and lodging) and be able to develop unique value proposition for each segment to attend the Show.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic marketing and communications plan to advance the National Restaurant Association Show; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; increase exhibitor and attendee acquisition, and to expand the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Develop and implement marketing / public relations / social media strategies that will cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level audiences, including but not limited to media, exhibitors and attendees. Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization.
- Work with show leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external marketing and communications opportunities and solutions, and to define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as marketing and communications subject matter expert, both internally and externally.
- Overall lead and management director of marketing agency – mdg.
- Work with MDG to develop all creative elements of National Restaurant Association Show.
- Oversee development in collaboration with MDG of all National Restaurant Association Show print and digital marketing/communications including attendee and exhibitor acquisition marketing collateral materials, Show websites and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Collaborate with VP, Sales to strategize new and customized ways to engage key exhibitors and sponsors, including development of sponsored assets, benefits and deliverables for sponsorship programs, and execution of sponsorship initiatives.
- Oversee the day-to-day marketing activities in collaboration with MDG including budgeting, forecasting, planning and execution.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding National Restaurant Association Show programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- As needed and under advisement of President and Vice-Chair, Exhibitions, serve as spokesperson and the point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the National Restaurant Association Show.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Work with MDG staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Lead development of research and data analysis capability in Show team. Procure, evaluate and report out on business intelligence to inform exhibitor/attendee acquisition, product development and inform programming.
- Develops, institutionalizes and stewards the brands, positioning, messaging, tone and personality of the National Restaurant Association Show.
- Manage co-branding/joint promotion efforts for the National Restaurant Association Show across Winsight brands; work with programming team to identify opportunities for co-branded content.
- Ensure marketing plans are on track with regards to promotion of show content e.g. live webinars, repurposed content from Winsight brands, National Restaurant Association and other industry sources as applicable.
- Assist in staying connected with the National Restaurant Association with regards to marketing efforts, promoting Show and content, resources, etc.
- Participate in bi-weekly programming/marketing status meetings.
- Development and creation of news releases or promotions of Winsight within the exhibitions industry including show updates and information provided to industry media like TSE and TSNN.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s preferred
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in marketing or advertising – foodservice and event experience preferred
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in a senior marketing management role either in-house or with an agency
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience managing a specific area
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in developing comprehensive strategic marketing and communications, media relations, and marketing programs to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- A minimum of five years' experience in planning, writing, editing, and producing newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print and digital marketing and communication vehicles.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier partners, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve national recognition.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of marketing and communications specialists.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, and staff.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical and strategic thinker.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- Familiarity/experience with business events.
Winsight is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Winsight does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.