Research Group Lead
27 days ago | Requisition ID:
For over 50 years, Technomic, a Winsight Company, has provided foodservice clients around the globe with the research, insights and strategic consulting support they need to enhance their business strategies, decisions and results. Our services range from major research studies and management consulting solutions to online databases and simple fact-finding assignments. Our clients include food manufacturers and distributors, restaurants and retailers, other foodservice organizations, and various institutions aligned with the food industry.
A Research Group Lead on Technomic’s Research & Insights team must have developed the research and technical expertise, project management skills required to fulfill Technomic projects and have developed strong client-side expertise in a way that facilitates translating research into thoughtful and impactful recommendations for our customers. Research Group Leads will be able to provide research methodology consultations to internal partners and clients, lead the execution of high value research projects and provide targeted, as well as actionable recommendations to support client business growth. The successful candidate will demonstrate aptitude for strategic thinking and problem solving and is motivated to use that aptitude to enhance our clients’ businesses. The Research Lead will support the growth of our advisory practice by developing their own roster of projects and clients; writing proposals based on client business questions and executing on projects. The Research Lead will manage the client relationship for multiple, rotating projects and is capable of planning and conducting all aspects of project work and collaboration with internal teams and clients with minimal direction or supervision. This individual has at least 10 years of experience conducting quantitative or qualitative research in a B2B research environment, interpreting, and writing around data, developing insights and implications, and presenting study findings relevant to clients’ businesses both verbally and through written reports. The Research Lead may also manage a research manager and/or a research analyst; providing career path support to their direct reports.
- Works with as a liaison between advisory & Research and Insights to align research best practices (e.g., methodology, study recruitment, reporting, etc.) across departments.
- Provides consultative support to clients who need to understand which methodologies fit their business questions the best.
- Works directly with clients and internal teams to develop project proposals, related methodologies and ultimately serves as the primary staff member responsible for overseeing project execution quality.
- Reviews research plans, survey questionnaires, and discussion guides to ensure they reflect study objectives and client/industry interests and provides related feedback to research operations project partners.
- Manages the client-relationship, with support from project team members to ensure our research is meeting the customer’s needs.
- Guides the project manager’s effort to support analysts through project planning and execution, including providing guidance on research methods, data analysis and interpretation, and report writing.
- Is an expert on Technomic’s syndicated data platforms and ensures that proposal opportunities are steered toward the right fit for the client (i.e., are their questions answered by a syndicated data source or is custom research better suited for the question).
- Grows a roster of strategic clients, stays abreast of their business needs, and understands what tools/resources they own of Technomic’s and the broader Winsight portfolio.
- Issues comprehensive reports illustrating trends through clear, concise, and insightful editorial, a logical and coherent story and a streamlined executive summary of themes and implications.
- Presents industry data and project-specific information to both internal project stakeholders and external clients.
- Ensures research design, project scope definition, analytical approach, and staffing plans on projects are executed on in a profitable manner
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong understanding of foodservice marketing, innovation, and sales processes of our client base
- Strong understanding of when to execute the appropriate research methodology on behalf a client.
- Strong understanding of and experience with both quantitative and qualitative research is strongly preferred, particularly stakeholder interviews, focus groups, and ethnographic work.
- Excellent written communication skills are required; applicants must be able to write, concise, cohesive stories based on data collected.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal communication skills and ability to present study findings in small and large group settings, both internally and externally
- Experience working with foodservice clients in market research and/or the foodservice industry focused on business-to-business research methodologies is a must
- Thought Leader: Is a strong data-driven storyteller who can translate research findings into action and articulate the reasoning behind the recommended actions.
- Effective time manager: Able to multi-task across multiple projects. Able to prioritize work and manage time to complete work on time and within project budget.
- Detail oriented: Consistently delivers quality, error-free work with close attention to details.
- Action oriented, takes initiative: Always looking forward and identifying the next step, including identifying specific barriers and action plans needed to overcome them. Takes responsibility to drive projects forward.
- Strategic thinker: Understands market research and how to use research methods and analysis to deliver actionable findings for clients.
- Intellectual curiosity: Approaches business questions with curiosity to build insights and ultimately solve the problem.
- Strong interpersonal skills: Able to work well with others and collaborate productively with other team members and clients, especially when working with challenges.
- Positive, confident: Conveys and maintains a positive attitude in the workplace and inspires confidence in direct reports.
- Influential and Persuasive Leader: Has influence and gives confidence to colleagues, inspiring confidence in the recommendations brought forward. Viewed as expert on strategic use of research, able to lead, use good judgment and influence internally and externally.
- Communicate effectively: demonstrate ability to effectively express ideas and opinions in written and oral formats including in-person presentations.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the foodservice market research industry, specifically within consulting, consumer research, or other similar services firms
- Bachelor’s degree or above in business, social science, market research, or related field
- Extensive working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Extensive experience working in cross-functional/cross-departmental project teams.
- Experience in SPSS or similar analytical platforms a plus
Technomic is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Technomic does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.